SpellO evaluation - several problems found

Aug 7, 2012 at 10:47 PM
Edited Aug 7, 2012 at 11:01 PM

Finally, a free stand-alone website spellchecker!

However, there are some rough edges to work out and polish up.

1) My results still show nbsp as a word, even though you list this as a fixed bug.

2) With a "large" DPI setting, the window is still not sized properly, and RUN / Save buttons are not visible without resizing the window, even though you list this as a fixed bug.

3) Apostrophe character still breaks words, even though you list this as a fixed bug. For example, "doesn't" will be listed as a "doesn" typo.

4) Add the capability to to specify several dictionaries at the same for multilingual websites.

5) There needs to be an option to ignore words with numbers. For other relevant settings, see OpenOffice or Microsoft Office settings.

6) There needs to be a bandwidth throttling option, since checking a large website can bring a house network to a grinding halt.

7) If your website is setup for non-www, then the crawler will not work with the full http://www.domain.ext/ address. Use the shorter http://domain.ext/ address.

8) SpellO crashes in Windows 7 64-bit, unless it is run with forced administrator privilidges.

9) Non-English characters are shown in the results window, but are not saved with proper encoding to the html log file.

Developer
Aug 9, 2012 at 12:26 AM
Edited Sep 3, 2012 at 3:35 AM

Hi, thanks for finding and pointing out these errors, I'll look in to them as soon as I can but it will be at least a couple of weeks before I'll have the time.

Regarding number 8, assuming you are using 0.5.4474 could you try v0.5.3669 to see if you have the problems on the previous version.

EDIT: So far I have not been able to replicate your administrator privileges problem, tried running on guest account with UAC turned on.

I will also look at adding words with numbers exclusion

Aug 9, 2012 at 3:08 AM

Hello Blag and other readers;

I continue to post about my evaluation of SpellO. For more pages, please visit my website, since I might not have time to keep two versions of pages up to date with each other. My articles on SpellO are located here:

http://mkrd.info/articles-on-developing-and-administering-websites/full-website-spellcheck-with-spello.html

Developer
Sep 3, 2012 at 3:39 AM
Edited Sep 4, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Could You inform me what version you are using?

I have I been unable to duplicate 2 or 8.

1) Think I have solved the nbsp problem

3) The bug about apostrophe's was asking for them to be removed from words, I have undone this change (will publish when everything else is sorted)

6) Try using the download delay under crawler settings

Regarding other problems mentioned in your other articles

I will try to find updated dictionaries for the languages provided

I will add more extensions to the DisallowedURLs list by default - Done

I will change the user agent to Spello by default - Done

Sep 11, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Hello Blag,

8) Is still true. SpellO crashes on my (just recently reinstalled) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

2) My screen DPI is set to 125% (Medium). When the program is launched, the buttons are not shown unless the window is resized by dragging (the corner of the window).

I am currently using 0.5.4474

Coordinator
Mar 29, 2013 at 11:53 AM
publicemaildump75 wrote:
Hello Blag, 8) Is still true. SpellO crashes on my (just recently reinstalled) Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. 2) My screen DPI is set to 125% (Medium). When the program is launched, the buttons are not shown unless the window is resized by dragging (the corner of the window). I am currently using 0.5.4474
Finally needed to use spello myself and realized that it was not working anymore! so went ahead and fixed it so that it works on win8 x64!